Friday, November 18, 2011

Review: The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder


Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: June 28th, 2011

Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last.
(Courtesy of Goodreads)

This is another one of those books that I picked up because I was drawn to the cover... It was so pretty and summery.  After reading the synopsis, I was intrigued.  I still didn't really know what the book was actually about- you don't really find out until you are about 75% through it- but I was convinced enough that this should go on my TBR.  There it sat.  For months.  Something I was more excited for always came up, and I just kept skipping over this book.  Finally, one day I decided that I would close my eyes and point to something on my shelf...

The first thing I noticed upon opening this book was that it was written in verse.  I had never read anything by Lisa Schroeder, so I wasn't aware that this was how she writes.  I've read things in verse that I've loved, and things I've hated.  It takes a tremendous amount of talent to write an entire novel in verse- not everyone can do it, but Lisa Schroeder proved that not only can she do it, but she does it beautifully.

This novel starts out and you don't understand, by the author's design, what is going on.  You just know that Amber needs this day alone before a major event in her life happens the following day.  I was having a hard time even trying to guess, but I kept reading.  While Amber is at the beach pondering, she meets Cade.  He is also seemingly on a quest for something unknown before some major life event.  They bond over their mutual despair, but don't open up to one another about what each is dealing with; they individually revel in their grief, together.

Every so often there would be a letter to Amber from a mystery woman and her husband.  As the book continues, it becomes clear who they are, and Amber story starts to fall together.  It's tragic, and as the reader, my heart was breaking for her.  While Amber's story solidifies, Cade's becomes more mysterious.  There were many times throughout the book when I thought I knew what was going on with him; I wasn't prepared for the truth.  It took me by surprise.  Most of the time when I read a book and two characters have that insta-bond, it bugs me- it's usually too perfect and not real, but here it worked because of their mutual need.

This is not a book I want to spoil for you because I want you to read it, so I won't say more.  This book was about as perfect as they come; it is so beautifully written and touching.  Next time you are looking for a book that will simultaneously rip your heart out and make you smile, consider this one.  You won't be sorry that you did.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★  

Grade Level Recommendation:  This is a tough call.  There isn't really any objectionable content, but I think an older reader would get more out of it.  It's clean.  No drinking, drugs, sex, or language of note, I just feel like it would go over the head of most younger readers.  For that reason, I would say grades 8 and up (ages 13+).

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I love the cover! Her eyes are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear! I wanted to read this book so badly but I kept pushing it to the end of the pile! How wrong of me!! Reading your review totally made me realized that I should read this book!! Excellent review my dear! love it! Im pretty masochist and I like reading heart-breaking stories XDD> I need to get to this one! Thnx for sharing my dear ^.^ muah!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I've never read a book written in verse. I'm not too sure how I'd like it. This cover is gorgeous though and I'm a total cover whole I might read it just because! Haha

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dying to read this book and I'll surely read it after did review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO