Friday, November 11, 2011

Review: Crossed by Ally Condie


Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Publication Date: November 1st, 2011

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.
(Courtesy of Goodreads)

I will start this review by stating the fact that I loved this book's predecessor, Matched.  I've read it twice, and I liked it even more the 2nd time around.  If you haven't read it now, you really need to do so.  Matched was very reminiscent of The Giver by Lois Lowry; there were a lot of similarities.  In Crossed, this trilogy becomes its own.  I loved Matched, I am IN LOVE with Crossed.  We always hear about authors having sophomore slumps when writing series, especially when the first book is amazing, but worry not with Crossed.  If Matched was good, Crossed was GREAT.  Here's why...
  • Cassia goes from Society Girl to independent, self-sufficient, kick-ass heroine.  Sure, she does a few things in Matched to buck the Society's rules, but she goes all out in Crossed. Question is, does she go too far?  I liked Cassia a lot better in this book.  She put her mind to something and she made it happen, against all odds.  Even if her choices weren't always the best, she followed her heart, and she has to be respected for that.
  • The love triangle became a TRUE love triangle.  I don't usually like love triangles in books because I think they are usually overdone, but in this trilogy it's really working for me because it's not the center of the story; it's key, but it's not all there is to it.  In Matched I had my mind set on who I wanted Cassia to end up with.  Now I don't know.  I don't think Cassia does either...
  • We found out more about Ky's story.  Ky was somewhat of an enigma in Matched and for that reason, I couldn't really wrap my mind around liking him.  I'm still not sure if I like him now, but at least I now understand and respect him.
  • We learn the everyone in The Society is not who they pretend to be, and some of these people are very key players.  I was thrown for a loop when I found out certain things...
  • Ally Condie does a much better job with world building in this book.  We learn so much about the Outer Provinces and world beyond Cassia's Society bubble.  I was transported into this world that was both beautiful and harsh.
  • This book is non-stop action.  Forget about getting anything else done while reading it, because you won't want to stop reading.  It sinks its claws into you and does not let go until the very last page, and then you're still left wanting more.  November of 2012 is so far away...
  • There are new characters who are really great in both good ways and bad ways.  That is to say, they aren't always likable, but as supporting characters go, they are well rendered and memorable.
  • The Rebellion is still a mystery, but in a good way.  I have a feeling that, like The Society, it is not what it seems...
  • The ending will floor you.  It did me.
It was really hard for me to write a review that didn't include spoilers for either Matched or Crossed, and I hope I succeeded.  If you've read Matched, I doubt I have to do any convincing to get you to read Crossed.  All I can do is maybe urge you to move it to the top of your TBR; I think you will be happy that you did!  If you haven't read Matched yet, you need to.  Now.

That's all.  Carry on.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ +

Grade Level Recommendation:  As with Matched, I think this book is fine for well-read 5th graders and even mature 4th graders (ages 9+).  It has some romance, but nothing racy.  Some violence, but nothing extreme.  If the later Harry Potter books are okay for a kid to read, so are these.

6 comments:

  1. OMG! excellent review!! Im so glad it debuted as a #2 in the NYT bestsellers list! it seems it totally deserve it! =D I finally got my copy from bookdepository!! yeeeey!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! So happy to hear you liked this!! I've been hearing some bad things about Crossed, like it wasn't better than Matched, nothing changed, etc. etc. Yay for the love triangle and character building :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I liked Matched more than Crossed, but I still thought it was pretty good. I think maybe because there was a certain character that wasn't in crossed as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY agree on this. I felt like Crossed really upped the ante, and Cassia really came through for me. Also loved getting more of Ky's story. I love that boy!

    I was worried that we'd see a sophomore slump, but thankfully, not in this case!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review!
    You're the first one that loved the second book as much as the first.
    All the blogs that I have read so far didn't enjoy Crossed as much as they enjoyed Matched.
    That's one reason I haven't read it, but thanks to your review it seems like I am going to read it after I'm done with my finals
    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review! I haven't heard many great things about the second installment of this series so it's nice to hear that you liked it! I liked Matched and I hope to pick up Crossed soon!

    Rumana @ Relook the Book

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO