Monday, April 25, 2011

Review: The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder



Publisher:  Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publication Date:  April 4th, 2011

I'm going to own up to it right now... I only picked this book up because the cover ROCKS! I am a total cover whore, and this one had me the second I saw it! Of course, I knew it wasn't going to be anything profound, but it looked extremely entertaining and a tad naughty...

At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her. For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity. But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay? (Courtesy of Goodreads)

I really enjoyed this book in a "guilty pleasure" sort of way. There were funny parts and downright horrifying parts. I don't remember girls at my high school being this awful, and I hope to God that I wasn't one of the awful ones and too just warped to remember! If you like Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl, and The Clique, you'll LOVE this.

I have mentioned before that I really don't like "mean girl" books, and I almost put this book down a few times because of that, but I kept reading... The protagonist, April, is definitely not a "mean girl" in the beginning of the story. She's actually somewhat of a loser, who for whatever reason, is allowed to hang with the popular girls. She knows that everything about this group of girls is wrong, but is so desperate for friends that she ignores her gut and her BFFs warning and keeps on surrounding herself with them. Of course, in typical "mean girl" fashion, they turn on her. Now here is where I envisioned her taking the high road and gaining popularity and respect with her winning personality. Well, we all know that is NOT how high school works. AT ALL. So, April disappoints me, and does what is necessary to make this story entertaining. She seeks revenge in awful ways, and while I was a little happy that the nasty little b**ches were getting some of what they had coming to them, I felt like April wasn't any better than they were with her antics.

 Will she become one of them through her own shallow behavior, or will she see the light? Will she win the boy of her dreams, or will the "Lipstick Lawlords" turn him against her?  Will her greatest secret be revealed to the whole school, ruining her forever?  This book is worth reading to find out!

My Rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★

Grade Level Recommendation: 5th or 6th+  There is some teen drinking, but not in a glorified way, and there are actually consequences. Otherwise, this book is pretty benign.


1 comment:

  1. I just read this and I think this is a great tween book. Thanks for stopping by my WoW, I'm your latest follower :) love the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO