Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten YA Covers of 2012

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week a new Top Ten list topic is posted and book bloggers fill in their own choices.  I'm a list girl (as in, I don't function without them), so I thought this would be a good choice for me!  This week's topic is one that I am absolutely ecstatic about!  I am a total cover whore, and often buy books just for the cover, without even reading the synopsis.  Fortunately, I've only been burned a few times.  They say not to judge a book by its cover, but I can't help it!  So, without further ado, here are my Top Ten YA Covers of 2012 (and maybe a few runners-up because I just can't narrow it down).  As I went through the covers, it seems that Penguin and Harper seem to employ the best designers since their imprints have the most on the list, so bravo to them!

Top Ten YA Covers of 2012

1.  Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne (Published by G.P. Putnam's Sons)~ This cover is so gorgeous!  The balance of light and dark, and the crisp imagery.  I had this on my TBR, based on the cover, long before I had any idea what it was about.


2.  Everneath by Brodi Ashton (Published by Balzer+Bray)~ While I thought this book was okay, it didn't come close to measuring up to the stunningly beautiful cover.  One of my all-time favorites.


3.  Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood (Published by Putnam Juvenile)~ This cover was on Penguin Books for Young Readers 2012 Spring catalog, and you can see why.  It is lush and eye-catching.  I would have read this anyway, but the cover made me want to buy it just to have on my shelf.


4.  The Selection by Kiera Cass (Published by HarperTeen)~ This cover is so delectable!  Seriously, those dresses look edible to me; the girls look like they should be on top of a cake.  I hope this book measures up to my high cover-based expectations!


5.  Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Published by HarperTeen)~ I liked the cover of book #1, Divergent.  I LOVE this one.  The colors and level of detail are perfect, and it fits beautifully next to its predecessor.


6.  Timepiece by Myra McEntire (Published by EgmontUSA)~ I bought the first book in this series, Hourglass, because of the cover and it ended up being one of my favorite reads of 2011.  Here's to hoping that this book is just as amazing (if we base it on the cover, we're doing well)!


7.  Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake (Published by TorTeen)~ This is another sequel of a book I picked up because of the cover, only to find it on the top of my 2011 best books list.  I like this cover even more (but will the ink on the pages match like in Anna Dressed in Blood?).


8.  Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey (Published by Dial Books)~ I'm not sure if I'll read this book, but the cover is absolutely brilliant.  


9.  Until I Die by Amy Plum (Published by HarperTeen)~ I haven't read the first book in this series (Die for Me) yet, but I fully intend to.  I've had it on my Kindle for ages and have just not gotten to it.  The covers of both are lovely!


10.  Reached by Ally Condie (Published by Dutton Children's Books)~ All of the books in the Matched trilogy (Matched, Crossed) are simple, but perfect for the story.  This one is my favorite of the three because I am a sucker for red covers, but I love them all.


Runners-Up
(because I suck at decisions)

The Savage Grace by Bree Despain (Published by EgmontUSA)~ This entire series has beautiful covers, but this one is the best yet.  I would never have read The Dark Divine if not for the cover.


Fever by Lauren DeStefano (Published by Simon & Schuster Children's Books)~ This cover is fantastic, and it really captures the story, much like its predecessor, Wither.  I did love the cover of Wither more, but this one is almost as good.


Arcadia Awakens by Kai Meyer (Published by Balzer+Bray)~ This cover is just awesome!  Th story looks really great, and I probably would never have given it a chance if not for the cover.

2 comments:

  1. Great cover choices! Let's see... We have two in common! Now I think I want to read Arcadia Awakens...

    As a fellow cover whore, check out my top choices in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are just too many beautiful YA covers this year, it's hard to pick just 10. :) I'm glad that you chose to share more, Karis. And I totally forgot about Dragonswood! Oh, well, it did make your list. Thank you for sharing all of the great covers!

    ~DJL
    My Top Ten

    (You might see a few similar covers on my list, lol.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO