Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Review: Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder



Publisher: Harlequin/Mira Books

Publication Date: December 27th, 2011

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
(Courtesy of Goodreads)

I've only read a few of Maria V. Snyder's books, and although I very much enjoyed them, I wasn't a big enough fan to get giddy about an upcoming release; this book changed that.  In a word: AMAZING!  

Anyone who has read anything by Maria V. Snyder knows that one of her biggest strengths is in world building.  She has a gift for setting the stage for the story, and this book is no exception.  I dare say that this book would have been worth reading for the lush descriptions alone.  Fortunately, the characters and storyline are equally worthy, making a truly fantastic read.

As I mentioned before, I was not a big enough fan of Maria's to be "anxiously awaiting" this book, but I saw it on NetGalley and requested it based on the prior books I had read by her (also, it has a great cover).  I am so glad it did because it thrills me to be able to be spreading the blogger love for this book!  It is definitely my favorite fantasy novel of 2011.  I loved it!  It's full of action and magic.  Add to that a kick-ass heroine, subtle romance, sacrifice, intense bonds, betrayal, and a sexy bad guy, then put it smack-dab in the middle of a fantastical setting, and you have a winner.  The synopsis does not do this story justice, but at the same time, I feel like any more information could lead to spoilers.  That said, I'm not going to go into too much detail in this review.  The writing in this book is superb and the story lacks nothing.  If you are a fan of Fantasy and magic, you really MUST read this.  I am definitely "anxiously awaiting" book number two in the Healer series, Scent of Magic, which releases in late 2012.


My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 


Grade Level Recommendation:  This book is fine for 6th grade and up (ages 11+).  There is one sex scene, but it isn't graphic at all and is between two consenting adults.  There is a good bit of violence, but none of it is gratuitous.

5 comments:

  1. Great review Karis I still have yet to pick this one up everyone seems to really love it it sounds amazing!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, sounds amazing! I haven't read much of Maria V. Snyder... though I do own her Study trilogy which I need to start reading. I'm glad you like this one and I'm adding it to my must read list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds amazing! I haven't read any of her other books but this one sounds right up my alley!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book so much! Gah, the next one seems so far awayy!!

    - Carmy, Book Filled Blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO