Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Authors I Want More Books From

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week a new Top Ten list topic is posted and book bloggers fill in their own choices.  I'm a list girl (as in, I don't function without them), so I thought this would be a good choice for me!  This week's topic is "Top Ten Authors I Wish Would Write Another Book".  I tweaked it, because there are a few who on my list that have works-in-progress or books coming out, and I wanted to include them.  Sooo, here is my list...

Top Ten Authors I Want More Books From

1.  Harper Lee~ I don't know if ya'll know this, but the epic To Kill a Mockingbird was the ONLY book Harper Lee ever wrote.  To me that is insanity given how amazingly written and profound a novel it was.  I wish she had written more.

2.  Margaret Mitchell~ Gone With the Wind is my all-time favorite book.  I have read it at least five or six times, and will undoubtedly read it again before I die.  It totally sucks that she died young and never got to grace us with another epic tale like it.

3.  George Orwell~ I call him The Father of Dystopian Fiction because he wrote the ground-breaking, and for me, life-changing, books 1984 and Animal Farm, WAY before the genre was even a genre.  I have to wonder what he would think about this world we live in if he were alive today.

4.  Emily Bronte~ Wuthering Heights was a favorite of mine in high school, and is still such a timeless classic.  I would have loved to read more by Emily.  It's such a shame that she died so young.

5.  J.K. Rowling~ Everyone loves Harry Potter, but does she have anything else?  Or will she go down in history like Harper Lee, known for ever telling just one story?

6.  Carrie Ryan~ I know it seems strange to have a newish author on the same list with the above people, but I just can't get enough of her writing.  Honestly, I devour her books as fast as she writes them.  I know she has a couple of things in the works, but I need them to be published, like, NOW.

7.  Neal Shusterman~ Another author that has things in the works, but that I can't get enough of.  Thank God we have a release date for Unwholly, the sequel to the mind-bending Unwind (September 25th, 2012), but he needs to keep writing, because one book per year is just not enough!

8.  Libba Bray~ I know that The Diviners comes out in November, but that's a year and a half between books!  I need more Libba than that!  She is a genius.  The woman can write anything, and has proven it, but her comedic ventures are my favorite.  Seriously though, I would read a cereal box if she wrote it!

9.  John Corey Whaley~ A 2011 debut author that I am expecting HUGE things from in the future.  His debut, Where Things Come Back, was such an amazing blend of sad, witty, thought-provoking, and funny.  I can't wait to see what he has in store for us next because I think he may be the next John Green (and I ADORE John Green's books!).

10.  Stephenie Meyer~ Yes.  I admit it.  I like her books.  So what if the Twilight series was a little sappy and lame.  I still couldn't stop reading them.  And I have to say, I REALLY liked The Host.  It was like it wasn't even written by the same person.  I would like to see which author she really is; the one that wrote Twilight or the one that wrote The Host.  Disclaimer: Just to be clear, I do NOT believe that she is even in the same league with the nine authors listed above, but I am curious.

So, there are my top ten.  There are probably loads more, but I just put down the first ten that came to mind.  Can't wait to read all of your lists to see who I missed!

10 comments:

  1. I love Orwell and Bronte for classic pics! I've been meaning to read Unwind for absolute ages, but I'm glad now that I've waited since Unwholly is finally coming out! Also The Diviners was on my TTT list last week for most anticipated releases of the year. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the HOst too, I don't know why so many people have issues with it.

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/top-10-tuesdays-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we have Pottermore, but it's just not the same as more stuff from JK Rowling! Even if it was just a bunch of Potter short stories, I'd be happy! And I agree with Harper Lee and Emily Bronte! :)

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list!

    I have several on mine as well, including Harper Lee. I've heard rumors over the years as to why she didn't write another book, but who knows the true cause. Either way, To Kill a Mockingbird is fabulous!

    Laura @ The Traveling Owl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool list, although every time I see Harper Lee I feel even dumber for not putting her on my list!

    Mine is at YA Yeah Yeah if you'd like to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone is waiting for JK Rowling to write something new! I can't imagine how she could outdo Harry Potter, but I would LOVE it if she tried!!
    And I think I need to get my hands on When Things Come Back. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds AMAZING.
    Great list!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to go with Stephanie Meyer as well, I'd really love it if she would write something non-Twilight!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Stephenie's Twilight series, so J.K. Rowling aside (because I deem her to be an obvious choice), I'd totally love to meet her. Carrie Ryan is pretty cool to and I imagine we could have several interesting discussions over zombies :)

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness. HARPER LEE. I can't believe I didn't think of her--I even had Capote on there, for heaven's sake.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! George Orwell is a great choice! I agree wholeheartedly with Stephenie & J.K.!! More please!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO