Sunday, October 9, 2011

Review: Forgotten by Cat Patrick


Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: June 7th, 2011

Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.
(Courtesy of Goodreads)

When I heard about this book, I was totally intrigued.  What a great premise!  I was really excited when I finally got my hands on this, and actually waited a couple of weeks for my vacation because I knew I would want to read it straight through, and I did.  

At first I was thinking, "Wasn't this done in some Drew Barrymore/Adam Sandler movie?", and on the surface, it might seem that way, but it's just not so.  That movie was a romance and while the romantic element was okay for me, the mystery was what had me unable to put this book down.  How is it that this girl goes to bed each night, only to wake up having not memories of her past, but of her future?  Nothing of her past is there except what she writes down before her mind resets at 4:33am.  The "memories" of the future do help her some, but what happens when a person comes into her life that she doesn't see in her future?  Interesting as far as the romance goes, but the mystery is so much more than that...

I thought Cat Patrick did a fantastic job writing this book.  You never really get to know London like you would in the characters in other books, because she really doesn't know herself, but that what's so intriguing.  London can easily lie to herself with her notes, as she does from time to time.  Want to forget about something crappy that happened?  Great.  Just don't write it down... I think that is what made this book so awesome- you're never really prepared for the turns in events.  There is zero predictability. So many YA books are so painfully predictable (even the ones I love), that I feel so refreshed when an author keeps me guessing.

When I finished this book, I really wanted there to be a sequel; I wanted to know more about London and how things turn out for her.  However, after letting digest, I have to say that I think this is better as a stand-alone.  The pressing questions in this story were answered and I'm happy with the ending.  A reader can't ask for much more...

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★  

Grade Level Recommendation:  Pretty clean.  An innocent teen romance and a small amount of violence.  5th grade+ (Ages 11 and up).


**Don't forget to enter my AWESOME giveaway of an audio copy of the AMAZING All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin HERE!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO