Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: June 1st, 2009

In L.A. CANDY, nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts moves to L.A. and unexpectedly becomes the star of a reality T.V. show. With fame comes wealth, hot clothes and even hotter love interests -- and Jane′s lapping it all up with her eclectic entourage of pals who are always up for a wild night out and the chance to get a piece of her spotlight. But soon Jane realizes everyone wants something from her, and nothing is what it seems to be.

L.A. CANDY is a fast-paced, honest and entertaining fictional account of what it′s like to come of age in Hollywood while starring in a reality TV show, written by a girl who has experienced it all firsthand: Lauren Conrad.
(Courtesy of Goodreads)


The only reason I picked up this book was because it fit a challenge. I've never watched the television show she's in, but I imagine this is loosely based on that? It seemed very autobiographical, from the little bit I know about her. I honestly expected it to be horrible, and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't hate this book! I didn't love it either, but I didn't expect to. I honestly thought it would be so bad that I couldn't finish. Well, I did finish, and I thought it was pretty good. Will I read further in the series? Maybe. Perhaps I will need another challenge book. It's not something I would clamor to read, but it wouldn't be painful either.  At any rate, I felt like Lauren Conrad did a good job telling her story in a fictional format. The writing was competent, the story moved along at a good pace, and if you like tabloid fodder, it was entertaining. I can see why some teen girls would enjoy this. It's the life many of them dream about.

My Rating: ★ ★ ★

Grade Level Recommendation: Grades 9+ (Ages 14+). There are definitely some things in this book that wouldn't be appropriate for a younger girl. There is MUCH underage drinking in clubs, several instances of "going home" with guys and one night stands. There is a bit of language, but that's never been a sticking point for me after about 5th grade.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO