Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite YA Contemporary Authors

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week a new Top Ten list topic is posted and book bloggers fill in their own choices.  I'm a list girl (as in, I don't function without them), so I thought this would be a good choice for me! I've been really slack lately in posting memes.  There are a few that I love doing, but honestly, I've been so behind in my reading a reviews, that I just haven't gotten to them.  Fortunately, this weekend has been rather tame in comparison to the past many...  

This week's topic is a tough one for me; "Top Ten Authors In X Genre".  It would be easier for me to choose from genres I really like, but I like a challenge, so I'm going with a genre I don't often read.  It's not that I don't like YA Contemporary, it's just that it happens to be a genre that (in my humble opinion) produced more crap that quality, and I don't have time to weed through it.  That said, there are a few authors in this genre that I will read EVERYTHING and ANYTHING they write, so I wanted to give them props.  (Click each author's name to go to their webpage.) Here goes...


YA Litwit's Top Ten Favorite YA Contemporary Authors
(in order)

10.  Laura Wiess~  I've only read two of her books, Ordinary Beauty and Such a Pretty Girl, but that's all I needed to know that I will read all of her other books, and anything she publishes in the future.  She GETS it.  Her writing absolutely rips your heart out and stays with you long after you are finished reading her books.  If you haven't picked up anything by her, do it now.

  

9.  Terra Elan McVoy~  Terra is a local author, and happens to be the first author I ever attended a signing for, but even if she wasn't, she would be on this list.  Several years ago a bookish friend suggested I read her debut, Pure.  I loved it!  She really understands the mind and motivations of teenage girls, and she writes them in such a great way.  She doesn't dumb down or sugar-coat.  She digs deep into teen relationships with their peers, their significant others, and their parents, explores the highs and lows, and aptly expresses them.  She's real and she has a light and energy that shines through in her books.  I'm actually really excited for her upcoming book, Criminal, too.  I can't wait to read how she writes another genre (Thiller).  It's out in May of 2013.

   

8.  Gayle Forman~  I contemplated leaving her off this list because she only has two well known books out, but I decided not to because those two books are two of the best books I've read in this genre.  I loved If I Stay and Where She Went with all my heart.  I read each one in one sitting, and ugly cried during both- we're talking snot-bubbles and swollen-face.  I love how it all ended up and I can't wait to read her next story, Just One Day, out in January.

  

7.  Maureen Johnson~  Maureen is smart and funny and sarcastic, and I just love her.  She's written about a gazillion books, and I just love the way she writes.  She manages to tackle some tough stuff without it ever seeming heavy.  I laugh so much when I read her stories, but always walk away having gained something.  Also, she is the BEST person ever to follow on Twitter.

      

6.  Lauren Myracle~ Lauren writes both MG and YA and it is all worth reading.  I love that my 11 year old has grown up with her, and that she continues to be her literary idol.  Actually, grown-ups don't come much cooler than LM.  I wish I could be her kid (as does my daughter).  She also happens to be one of the most banned authors out there, but that is because she is real, and I really think teens appreciate that (even if some of their curmudgeonly parents don't).  Her amazing book, Shine, was my favorite book of 2011 (read my review HERE).

      

5.  Kody Keplinger~  It could be that she is practically a teenager herself, by I think Kody Keplinger is one of the most dialed in YA authors around.  I have found her books easy to identify with when I think back to my teen years, and when I talk to kids who have read her books, I often hear that they feel like she could be writing about them or one of their friends.  She is sharp and doesn't hold back.  Add to that the fact that she is enormously talented for someone so young, and there is no other option but to expect amazing things in the future from her!

  

4.  Stephanie Perkins~  There's YA Contemporary and then there's YA Contemporary Romance, and the latter is really not my thing, but I ADORE Stephanie Perkins.  I very reluctantly read Anna and the French Kiss, after much cajoling from nearly every bookish friend I have, and I loved it.  Then I read Lola and the Boy Next Door and it became clear that I would forever read everything she writes.  I'm a total fangirl!  She does YA Contemporary Romance like nobody else.  All others in that category should bow down.  I know that is a bold statement to make after only two books, but I dare you to read them and disagree...


3.  David Levithan~  I very nearly bumped him up to the number one spot because of his latest book, Every Day (read my review HERE), which now sits near the top of my list of favorite books EVER (it holds a firm position as #1 of 2012), but when you look at the two authors above him, you'll understand...  Still, some of my favorite YA Contemporary novels are by him or co-written by him (A dream of mine?  For him to co-write a book with #9 on this list, his good buddy, Terra McVoy!), and really, if I could, my top three would be a three-way tie because I love them all (almost) equally. Honestly, it is like asking me which one of my three kids is my favorite; It depends on the day and my mood...

         

2.  Ellen Hopkins~  I read every one of Ellen's books the minute they come out, but they usually have such a profound effect on me that it takes weeks, sometimes months to write my review.  Sometimes I never write it because I can't articulate my thoughts. It is a fact that EVERY teen and most adults should read ALL of her books.  She doesn't ever paint pretty pictures, but her books are no less beautiful for it.   If you have never read anything by her, go ahead and put whatever you're reading now down (unless it's Every Day by David Levithan- you have my permission to finish IT...).  I suggest Perfect because it is my favorite of her books (read my review HERE).

         

1.  John Green~  The master of YA Contemporary.  Nerdfighter extraordinaire.  This guy rules, and if I had to guess, I would say that every author on this list would agree with me that he deserves to top it.  He doesn't have as many books under his belt as some of the other authors on this list, but everything I've read by him has had a profound effect on me in one way or another; has changed the way I look at the world and relationships.  In fact, if you look back on my past Top Ten Tuesday posts, you will see his books over and over again.  John Green's books are fantastic and they get better with each new one.

    

So there is my Top Ten Favorite YA Contemporary Authors.  Do you agree?  Did I miss anyone?  I would love to hear your thoughts!  

And one more thing...  I wanted to mention a few YA Contemporary authors to watch out for.  Authors on this list only have one YA Contemporary published (they may have books from other genres, but I'm not counting those), and they were so good, I felt they deserved a mention...

Katie McGarry~ Her debut, Pushing the Limits, was amazing.  It made me finally admit to myself that I didn't actually dislike YA Contemporary as a genre.  If her subsequent books are as good as her first, she has a really bright future ahead of her.  Her next book, Dare You To, a companion to Pushing the Limits, comes out in 2013.  Read my review of Pushing the Limits HERE.

Trish Doller~ Another 2012 debut author who came out with a bang.  Something Like Normal is one of the most compelling YA Contemporaries I've read (read my review HERE).  I can't wait to read more of what Trish has to offer.  Fortunately, we won't have to wait horribly long.  Her second book, All That Was Lost, comes out in October of 2013.

Megan Bostic~ Megan's debut, Never Eighteen, was a touching story that has stayed with me.  It's been a year and a half since I read it and I still think about it sometimes.  I loved her characters and the voice she gave them.  Can't wait to read what she has up next!  Read my review of Never Eighteen HERE.

Jackson Pearce~ Jackson is one of the masters of the Fairy Tale Retelling, so when I found out her first YA Contemporary was coming out, I was leery.  I wasn't sure what to expect, and frankly, I wasn't sure I liked the idea of it.  I was so happy to be wrong because Purity was fantastic, and ended up being my favorite of all her books.  I hope she decides to write more of this genre, because she seems to have a knack for it.  Read my review of Purity HERE.

John Corey Whaley~ In my opinion, his debut, Where Things Come Back, was the most underrated book of 2011 (read my review HERE).  I know it won awards and stuff, but it just didn't get the love, attention, and praise from the blogger community that I thought it should have.  It was brilliant and touching and funny.  Plus, he is just adorable.

Jesse Andrews~ His debut, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, is one of my favorites of 2012.  Hands down my favorite humorous book of this year.  I laughed so hard I peed a little several times while reading it.  I like witty, and Jesse Andrews has wit in spades.  Read my review of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl HERE.

Lauren Oliver~  Lauren is best known for her Dystopias (Delirium and Pandemonium) and her MG Fantasies (Liesl & Po and The Spindlers), but her YA Contemporary, Before I Fall, is actually some of her best work.  I would love to see Lauren write more in the genre.



**Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY for a SIGNED copy of Lauren Oliver's fabulous new book, THE SPINDLERS! Click HERE to enter! US/CAN. Ends 10/20/2012.**

44 comments:

  1. Lots of good authors there, several are new to me, a few I've been meaning to read. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to reading from many from your list.

    ~alli
    mrscaptkirk51.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This list is amazing! I love John Green and David Levithan as well, so I am so glad that you're such a big fan of them! I haven't read any of Ellen Hopkins' books before, but i'm definitely going to try and get myself a copy of Perfect now.

    - Ellie @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic comprehensive post! I really need to check out more of these authors! Thanks for the amazing recommendtaions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Impressive list!!! enough said
    Here's my TTT
    Ashley
    #BookNerd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I loved Pushing the Limits and I want to read more Contemporary! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list! I have added so many more books to my to-read list haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah...what a list! I feel like I need to edit a few things on my TBR list :) Anyway, I agree with Stepanie Perkins and Kody Keplinger - I considered adding the two but there were just too many to choose from :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read the books by Stephanie Perkins, but there's many on your list that I'm hoping to get to soon! Great idea to challenge yourself too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm starting with John Green's books soon, right after The Casual Vacancy. I can't wait for any of them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing list! So glad to see that John Green is number one. :) He is such a fantastic writer. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if I already have a comment going through, but it seems that it probably didn't post. Anywho, great selection! Lots of authors that I want to read someday, and I love Stephanie Perkins :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome list!! I LOVE Katie McGarry! Shine by Lauren Myracle is really great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great list! Can't believe I forgot Stephanie Perkins on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Katie McGarry. Well, I love Pushing the Limits. I can't wait to see what she publishes next.

      I totally agree with you, John Green is awesome. I have only read two of his books, and to be honest, his books aren't ones I would normally gravitate towards. But he is an amazing writer, so I have been trying to read more of his books.

      Stephanie Perkins is fantastic. She is an auto-read for me. Can't wait for her next book.

      Delete
  14. Great list! I've never read anything by any of them but have been meaning to! Thanks for stopping by and visiting my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my TTT and I listed Lauren Myracle and Maureen Johnson too! :) Here's the rest of my list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/top-ten-favorite-contemporary-ya-authors/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  16. Contemporary is my favorite genre and you have outdone yourself listing all the greats in YA! Green, Levithan, and Perkins are tops with me, and I'm interested in trying out Hopkins and reading more from Maureen Johnson. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh nice picks! :) I'll check David Levithan! :) and others! :) Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. SUCH a great list! I can't believe I forgot to add Ellen Hopkins to my list, but she's definitely one of my favorite contemporary authors!

    Fantastic list! Check out my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome list:) I read several of these authors and now I have new one to try. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I Stay and Where she went hold a special place in my heart. SO good. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is seriously one of my favourite books, and I have read a number of John Green's novels and I can't wait to read more from David Levithan- Every Day is on my wishlist.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do not read a lot of YA and have not read any on your list. I am hoping to try one or two of them soon, some of them look like books I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Weiss too! I've read all but How it Ends and that one is sitting on my shelf.

    I've not read Every Day yet..I don't even KNOW why. It's sitting here...(It's a common theme.)

    Such a great list! The others I HAVE read and loved every single page.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have very similar tastes! Great list. Here is my TTT.

    Vyki @ On The Shelf
    Check out my new meme Cover Crush!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Kody Keplinger and Stephanie Perkins. I would love to check out all the other authors on this list as well.

    Thanks for stopping at mine! - Emilia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great list! I love Stephanie Perkins and Kody Keplinger. I've been meaning to read one of John Green's books since they have awesome reviews and ratings so I hopefully will get to reading one!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cool list. I'm surprised so many ppl (like me) did contemp this week, I thought everyone would do fantasy. Anyhow I LOVED Pushing the Limits and can't wait to see how Katie McGarry's other books are when she puts more out! Also Love Ellen Hopkins! That stuff is powerful!

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome list! So hard to stick to just 10, right? I haven't read books from all of these authors (I Know!), but I do love Stephanie Perkins, John Green, Kathy McGarry and David Levithan :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  28. All awesome picks! I really need to read some more David Levithan--I hear Every Day is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You've got some really great YA Contemp authors listed here. I actually JUST finished reading If I Stay about an hour ago, and my eyes are still sore. I have Where She Went, and although I'm in the middle of a couple other books might have to just start reading it. I agree that John Green is awesome, I've only read The Fault in Our Stars so far, but, have Will Grayson, Will Grayson on loan from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome list! You've given me a couple of new authors to try and I'm sure I'll like them given how many books/authors I've loved that you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, man, I can't believe I forgot David Levithan! I was trying to stick to girl authors. I agree, Every Day was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So many of these authors bokks are on my TBR pile!
    I will have to start soon :-)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Cassie

    GreatMunchieReads

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome list. There are quite a few here I need to add to my wishlist - especially Maureen Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  34. GREAT list! I love Stephanie Perkins's books, and Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall is great. I read Lauren Myracle's TTFN books forever ago and liked them. I have Gayle Forman and John Green on my shelf, but still haven't read them. And I've read part of Pushing the Limits and loved--it's a lot like Simone Elkeles' books, which I also love. Great list. Thanks for sharing!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is a really fantastic list! I'm yet to read any Maureen Johnson or David Levithan, though I'm eagerly anticipating reading both of their work, and am super excited to read Pushing The Limits!
    I also have mentioned John Green in most of my top tens so far, and he is also my favourite YA contemp author!

    Great list! Happy top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Woah! I didn't know Maureen Johnson wrote those books, the first one I've read from her was the Name of the Star. I obviously didn't do my homework. Eck! Sorry.

    I NEED to read John Green's, Stephanie Perkins', and David Levithan's books. I keep saying this over and over again, but I haven't really gotten started. :(

    Anyway, this is a really great list!
    Thanks for checking out my top ten.

    Janus @ The Blair Book Project

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great list! Ellen Hopkins is by far my favourite contemporary YA author!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a really awesome list! John Green is one of my all-time favorite authors. He's just brilliant. Maureen Johnson's books (and twitter) are hilarious, and I know what you mean about them dealing with tough subjects without being heavy. Stephanie Perkins' books are wonderful. Lauren Myracle's books are fantastic, too! Have you heard there's a 5th ttyl book coming out in 2013?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've just started reading my first Ellen Hopkins novel and I'm loving it - I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it.

    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. ooh so many good books here! i absolutely love how detailed this list is and the list itself! thank you so much for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great list and great idea about doing the honorable mention. You picked some great authors. I am a huge fan of Lauren Myracle so I am glad to see her up there. I need to spend some reading time with a lot of these authors. I don't read a lot of contemp and it is clear I need to start!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Terra Elan McVoy & Maureen Johnson are really good & I still have so many John Green books I need to read. I basically feel like I need to read your whole list! haha Great picks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow! Contemporary authors seem to be really popular. Thanks for the great list, now I'll know who to check out next time I'm at the library. :]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO