Wednesday, August 15, 2012

ARC Review: Touched by Cyn Balog


Publisher:  Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date:  August 14th, 2012

Nick Cross always listens to the voice in his head. Because if he doesn't? Things can go really, really wrong. Like the day he decided to go off script and saved a girl from being run over . . . and let another one drown. Trying to change the future doesn't work.

But this summer at the Jersey Shore, something's about to happen that Nick never could have predicted. He meets a girl named Taryn and finds out about the Book of Touch. Now the path that he thought he was on begins to shift . . . and there's no way to stop things from happening. Or is there? 

In a life where there are no surprises, nothing has prepared Nick for what he's about to discover--or the choice he will be forced to make. . . .
(Courtesy of Goodreads)

Disclaimer:  This review is going to be very short and sweet.  This is the type of book that even the smallest details will likely be spoilery, so I am avoiding them at all costs...

Well, this book was just full of surprises!  I have to admit that I was expecting something a whole lot more creeptastic, based on the cover and the font that the title is printed in. That said, I'm not disappointed with this book either.  Unexpected is sometimes a good thing, and this is one of those times.  The story moved along a nice pace, with new twists revealed at precise moments when I was beginning to feel like something new was needed for this book to hold my interest.  The romance could have been cliche, but ended up not being so, because the author wove in plausible explanations and details.  The characters were unapologetically flawed and achingly human because of it.  I liked that the future was constantly changing based on Nick's decisions whether to stay on of go off "script".  It not only kept things fresh, but really highlighted the agony of what life must have been like for him.  As far as the Book of Touch, and Taryn's involvement- that kind of threw me for a loop.  I feel like she should have told him everything from the beginning, and not revealed a little at a time.  But then, I guess the story's pacing would have suffered for it, so that part is forgiven.  I think that my favorite part of this book was how it ended.  It was unexpected and very satisfying.  There were some things that made me sad, but it fit well, and it kept me thinking about the book after I finished. 

Overall, Touched was a solid read.  It wasn't one of my favorite books ever, but I liked it.  It was entertaining and thought-provoking, and I like that it was a stand-alone; the world needs more of those!  If you like a twisty-turny mystery, with an ending you won't ever see coming, the check this book out!

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ½ 

Grade Level Recommendation:  This book is pretty clean.  There is innocent romance and some sad parts, but it is perfectly fine for the average 5th grader (ages 10 and up).

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds very intriguing and unique! Plus the cover... I'm cover swooning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am a new follower, I will need to check out this book! I'd love a follow back at http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've heard of this one. I'm always open to clean romance, so I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore comments since they make me feel special and loved, just please don't spam me. I'm not interested in vacation offers, millions of dollars from Nigeria, or anything not book related!

Also, this is an award-free blog. As flattered as I am, I just don't have time. I'm happy if I have time to post all of my reviews on time, and am a momma of three to boot, but I appreciate the thoughts! XO